I absolutely love Chipotle Chilli Paste or Chipotle Sauce as it’s also known and make it quite frequently. It can be used for so many things, gives a wonderful, smoky flavour to fish and meat, perfect for grilling and barbecuing and adds depth to stews and chilli con carne.
Chipotle chillies are dried, smoked red jalapeños.
You might also be interested in my recipe for a simple Red Chilli Paste, a very handy recipe for the south East Asian kitchen.
- 10 chipotle chillies
- 2 tbsp pickled jalapeños (homemade or shop bought)
- 2 tbsp of the pickling sauce/vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic
- juice and zest of 2 limes
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Dry roast the chillies for a couple of minutes, don't let them burn. They might puff up slightly.
- Cut the stalk end off and shake the seeds out.
- Cut them with scissors and soak in hot water for about 10 minutes.
- Drain the chillies and place everything in a chopper/mortar and blend to a fine paste.
- Store in a small sterilised jar in the fridge and it will last a couple of weeks.