Queso Asado (Queso Flameado, Queso Fundido)
This is obviously a case of “by any other name”! This is Mexican cheese fondue, yummy with lots of tortillas or crisp tacos with a side of spicy tomato salsa!
I am giving a very basic version, essentially melted cheese with black pepper and chopped sausages sprinkled over. The combination is endless though. To the sausages, you could add onions, garlic, tomato, chillies, fresh coriander/parsley, even spices like cumin and coriander or my favourite, Chipotle sauce.
I came across an interesting recipe by Thomasina Miers in which she places the sauteed ingredients mix (ie sausages, etc) at the bottom of a gratin dish, tops them up with cheese and places the whole dish in the oven for the cheese to melt. I’ve tried this version too and it’s great, with the sausages mix being a “surprise” at the bottom of the cheese. I prefer to place it under the grill as I like the burnt bits of cheese!
I’ve used standard cheeses that we are familiar with, feel free to use different cheeses, a smoky one is always good.
A word about the sausages – chorizo would be best if you eat them. I don’t so I use chicken sausages, vegetarian ones will work too.
Ingredients (serves 4 as a heavy starter!)
150g mozzarella cheese, grated/sliced
150g cheddar cheese, grated
1-2 sausages, depending on size, chopped roughly, fairly small
freshly grated black pepper
1. Saute the sausages on medium heat to cook and crisp them. If using anything else, now’s the time to add them to the frying pan.
2. Melt the cheese in a small saucepan over low heat.
3. When done, transfer into a flame proof dish and place on a food warmer to keep cheese warm and liquid. Of course, if you have a fondue set, just use that!
4. Sprinkle with pepper and the sausages.
5. Serve with strips on warm tortilla and a salsa of your choice. Simple but delicious!
I like to serve this in tiny, warmed up, individual tapas bowls and everyone can help themselves to the various toppings I have on the side. Bear in mind that the cheese will start to set this way as it’s not on a heat.