Yum, simple but effective. Many variations as seen on supermarket shelves but the homemade, original one still trumps!
I give an online class on Udemy called Cooking Italian for Beginners. Click to go there.
Different Ways with Pesto
Pesto Panna Cotta (a savoury amuse-bouche)
Pesto Halloumi (a canapé)
- 1 medium clove garlic
- 60g/2oz pine nuts
- 3 handfuls fresh basil leaves
- 150ml/10tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3tbsp freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp freshly grated pecorino cheese
- Pinch salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- In a food chopper, start with chopping the garlic and pine nuts for a few seconds.
- Add the basil leaves and half the olive oil and continue chopping for about 20 seconds more.
- Add the cheeses, salt, pepper and a little more olive oil and chop again.
- Scrape down the sides and add more olive oil if you need it and chop one last time to incorporate everything together. You are going for a paste that is just pourable and thick.