Y’all know that I LOVE chocolate. Now, I also LOVE coffee! It doesn’t take a genius then to figure out that the Mocha would just happen to be one of my favourite drinks, FULL STOP! (See that ended with an exclaimation mark, we don’t do redundancy in Casa Lin!)
Many moons ago when I was searching for a mocha recipe, all I would see would be combinations of instant coffee, chocolate syrup and/or cocoa powder. Sacre Bleu! If they got one component right they’d go right ahead and kill the recipe by using something instant or syrup – yucks!
Here’s my own recipe, espresso, organic dark chocolate, vanilla, milk and double cream. Rich and indulgent! Not for the faint hearted!
Ingredients (serves 2)
1-2 shots espresso (depends on how strong you like it)
20 g dark chocolate, 70%, broken
50 ml double cream
100 ml whole milk
1 tsp vanilla paste
sugar to taste (1-2 tsp per serving, I do without)
I always melt chocolate in the microwave and have never had a problem. I suppose the key is to adjust the power, especially with white chocolate as it burns easily. Mine is 1000 watts and I use it at 50% power to melt chocolate.
1. Place the chocolate and most of the cream in a bowl or mug and melt. Stir to combine thoroughly. Save about 2 tbsp of cream for the top layer at the end.
2. Make the espresso.
3. Add the vanilla and sugar, if using, stir, then add the espresso.
4. Pour into the serving latte glass or cappucino cup.
5. Froth the milk. Add to the coffee and stir gently.
6. Very gently, add the rest of the cream to achieve that layered look.
Yes, I’ve used the aroma panettone with this and it was amazing!