Huevos con Camarones (Eggs with prawns)
Huevos con Camarones makes a fantastic breakfast dish or an anytime snack or a finger food. It’s so versatile and easy to make, it’s essentially an omelette – much like the Spanish tortilla, minus the potato. While I’ve found the odd Mexican potato dish, corn will always remain supreme!
This is a highly adaptable dish, change the ingredients for a completely different dish.
Ingredients (serves 2 as a snack or light lunch)
4 eggs, lightly beaten and seasoned with salt and pepper
half an onion, chopped
1 garlic, chopped
1 tomato, peeled and chopped
2 tbsp chargrilled/roasted peppers from a jar, chopped
1-2 tbsp jalapenos in vinegar, chopped
2 sprigs parsley OR coriander, finely chopped
1 tbsp oil, I always use olive oil/rapeseed oil although corn oil would be more authentic
1. Heat half the oil in a small frying pan and saute the onions and garlic on medium.
2. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring from time to time, for a couple of minutes till the tomatoes are cooked. It’ll look all mashed up.
3. Add the prawns, jalapenos and peppers to the pan and give it a quick stir.
4. Add your chosen herb to the eggs, mix and pour this into the pan.
5. Now you’re making an omelette or a tortilla. Keep bringing the egg in and distributing the ingredients evenly until the mix is no longer runny and the eggs are beginning to set. Lower the heat.
6. If you have to, cover for a minute or 2 to speed up cooking. Get a round, flat plate, place it on the frying pan and flip the omelette over.
7. Give the frying pan a quick wipe, pour the rest of the oil in, wait a few seconds for it to heat up and slide the omelette back into the pan and finish cooking it. You just want a minute or 2 more here.
8. Cut into wedges and serve. If serving as finger food, cut into little squares. Want to make it look professional? Top it with a small dollop of soured cream/creme fraiche & thinly sliced pepper. There really is no limit here to the toppings – let your imagination take control!