Filo Cases are extremely easy to make once you get the hang of it. Once made, they’ll keep in an airtight container for about a week and are delicious filled with sweet and savoury!
Update 12th July 2016: I posted this in 2011 and have just realised that I’ve never got around to posting recipe ideas! I promise to do that soon and leave links here but in the meantime, here are some super easy ideas for the base, the contrasting flavour and the topping.
Cheese – whether its cream cheese, cheddar, blue, boursin, etc
Guacamole or avocado based salad
Salads like Crab and Balsamic salad
The filo cases can be made up to a month in advance and stored in an airtight container.
I fill these cases up about an hour before, at the most, the later the better as the pastry will get soggy.
- 150g/5oz filo pastry
- 4tbsp melted butter
- Preheat oven to 180C (fan160). Brush tin with melted butter.
- Unroll the pastry, using a pair of scissors, cut pastry into 2" (5cm) squares.
- Brush with melted butter and stack 3 of them together at odd angles and gently press into tin.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes, till golden brown.
- Wait for them to cool completely before removing.